Old July 13th 19, 08:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Grob 109

I delivered a 109A from Arizona to the east coast. Out west, it didn't do well with the density altitude. I could climb OR keep the engine at a reasonable temperature. It couldn't do both at the same time. It was more manageable once I got to lower elevations of the midwest.

Once you eventually get up to altitude, it does scoot along pretty well. That's about the only thing that it did well.

I worked a few strong thermals in Arizona, but you have to imagine flying a 2-33... ballasted to double its gross weight. I wouldn't plan on doing much soaring unless you live somewhere with strong conditions.

Its frankly not a very good airplane and not a very good glider. I'm not sure what your intentions and expectations are, but I think that most people would be better off buying a Cessna 150 and/or a Libelle.