Old August 15th 15, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default FLARM in Stealth Mode at US 15M/Standard Nationals - Loved It!

MInor note: It has always been possible and allowed to put yourself in stealth mode. If you don't want people leeching off you, put yourself in stealth mode and go for it.

I'm flashing on "The Hunt for Red October" with submarines running in quiet mode listening on passive sonar with an occasional active ping when attacking. Between changing FLARM modes and popping little tinfoil hats on the antennas when in a good thermal, we won't have time to play with the other toys in the cockpit.

No problem, though. Next step is remote control of the FLARM status by the flight computer: stealth (most of the time), "non-emitting" mode (automatically in any thermal of MacCready value or above), and normal mode (when seeking a longer-range look ahead) at the press of a virtual button. I can't wait!

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
U.S.A.