Old January 10th 18, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Default Wingtip Wheels from Libelle 201?

...possibly those made for skateboards...

My experience is that skateboard wheels don't do very well as either tailwheels or wingtip wheels. The bearings seem to wear out quickly and spit out their balls, then the wheel starts wobbling and tearing up the surrounding structure.

The issue appears to be that the bearings don't handle the shock loads that they regularly see in glider service. You'd think that they'd be better, since skateboards and inline skates appear to be often subjected to such loads. However, it bears remembering that the human leg is a quite effective shock absorption system, one absent from glider wingtips and tails.

I use 200x50 pneumatic wheels for tailwheels, and when I need a wingtip wheel, I usually make it out of 2" Delrin rod stock with a plain steel or Oilite bushing.

--Bob K.