Old January 30th 06, 09:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Definition of simulated instrument conditions

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
About 20 years ago, the FAA in Wichita came up with a device
to block the pilot's view forward on the King Air 300, which
required a type rating and that the pilot be able to see the
entire cockpit and reach all the controls. They developed
and approved the use of a sheet metal device that was held
on the glare shield by a spring clamp. There were two metal
pieces attached in such a manner that the pilot could not
see straight ahead but allowed the examiner to see at an
angle through the pilot's windshield. The co-pilot and side
windows were not covered at all.

We have something similar in our club's PA-28 - except we have a louvred
side-window cover as well, so that if you're right next to it, you can't see
out, but if you're in the other seat you can. Works very well, and is much
better than those lousy foggles.

Of course, there's nothing on the right-hand window; all you need there,
though, is a decent-sized instructor/colleague and the view through the
window can be amply blocked :-)

D.