Old February 4th 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Definition of simulated instrument conditions

bsalai wrote:

The reason for the question is whether one can log instrument time, say
at night, when you don't look outside, but don't wear foggles or a hood?

If you are in visual conditions, somebody must be looking out the
window to avoid aluminum showers. If you are in the soup, then you are
in actual and the question is irrelevant. I hope you aren't really
asking whether or not you can go up alone in VMC and just "not look out
the window". Such an act would qualify one for a Darwin.

With an appropriate safety pilot, it is still important to not be
distracted by what is outside, which usually means some sort of view
limiting device. Too much peripheral information comes in otherwise,
and you are not really controlling the aircraft solely WRT instruments.

Jose
(alas posting from google until my computer comes back up)