Old September 25th 17, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Disc Brake Retrofit kit from Wings & Wheels -- LS7 installation

On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 9:26:29 AM UTC-7, Gianni Isotope wrote:
I am thinking of installing the disc brake retrofit that is available from Wings & Wheels on my LS7, and am looking to know what I might be getting myself in for (level of difficulty, satisfaction with the results, etc.)

Has anyone installed the retrofit on an LS7, or another LS glider that has the rudder pedal-activated brakes? Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

You would have a bike cable going to a hydraulic cylinder located by the wheel?
I did that installation on my Discus (Tost disc brake), and found that the stretch in the cable offset much of the benefits of the disc brake. The system was better than the standard drum brake, but it was not possible to put the glider on its nose -- putting more pressure on the handle mostly just stretched the cable and had little effect on the brake.

I think a better system is the Beringer system with the hydraulic cylinder in the brake handle.

If you have a standard airworthiness glider, be careful about installing a new brake system.