Old January 30th 04, 02:21 PM
Dave Eadsforth

In article , Hildegrin
writes
Dave Eadsforth wrote in message
news:o+F5SWAHQUGAFwMy
Good day, good people,

I wondered if anyone out there (in all probability, Peter!) could help
me understand more fully the process by which the Merlin engine was
enabled to use 150 octane fuel; one feature of which was the addition of
the Xylidine anti-knock compound. (This was touched on in a thread
last year, I recall.)

SNIP of incredibly useful amount of historical data.

Thanks very much for taking the time to type in all that information -
very much appreciated.

Re. your pondering about whether the Griffon engine was boosted over 25
in. Years ago, I was invited to take a look inside a Shackleton, and
while in the cockpit I noted that the boost gauges went up to something
phenomenal - I cannot now remember what the numbers were, but they were
definitely well in excess of 25. I did take a photo of the interior and
I will now try to look it out and see if the numbers are readable.

Someone out there who knows more about Shacks might be able to give an
accurate figure.

Thanks again,

Dave

--