Old September 16th 04, 04:01 PM
Steven DalPra

Stop thinking of the CNX 80 as a moving map GPS but as an FMS. Then keep
the discontinuity in until you have received the ATIS update as to active
approaches and runways. This makes selecting an approach easier as you use
the existing FPL and do not have to extensively modify the current one.
Last month a pilot at my airport replaced a new CNX 80 with a GNS 430. His
needs were to fly "direct" and not use airways in his flight planning. He
was comfortable with a more popular and "intuitive" unit. He was unhappy
that the compromise involved giving up GPSS roll steering with his
autopilot.

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
When you put a flight plan into the CNX-80, you end up with a
"discontinuity" before the last fix. My habit is to delete the
discontinuity as soon as I finish entering the route. Another
instructor in my club teaches that you should NOT delete the
discontinuity.

I can't see any strong arguments one way or the other. Leaving it in
doesn't seem to hurt anything (except that you get a warning when you
finally arrive at your destination). Taking it out doesn't seem to hurt
anything either.

Can anybody think of any real reason to either insist that it be deleted
or insist that it NOT be deleted?