Old June 13th 09, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_8_]

Default PDA's in flight

Brad,

I am using an iPAQ 3970 with PPC2003.

I found 5.2.2 to be a bit buggy and went back to 5.1.8, although I do
not recall the problem you mentioned.

Are you using PPC2002 in your iPAQ? If so, switching to PPC2003 may
solve your problem. Not sure where you can find the update now though.

Mike

On Jun 13, 8:30*am, Brad wrote:
Anyone else running XC flight software on a PDA find them to be
sluggish and almost unuseable during a flight? I am using an iPAQ 3850
running XC-Soar, the unit is hooked to a Garmin Map60CS. Sure
everything works, but while in the air, if I push a button or touch
the screen somtimes it takes several seconds for the function to work.
This often leads to stacked commands that eventually cycle thru, but
inevitably end up not on the command I wanted/needed.

Case in point: Mountain XC flight the other
day.....................middle of the Cascades and I am wanting to
look up my alternate airports/LZ's.............it is almost impossible
to get the PDA/software to do this. Instead I just used the GPS, which
has the same data the PDA has.

Is there some setting on the PDA to speed things up? I know there is a
setting to allocate more memory to the programs....could that be
tweaked?

Thanks,
Brad