Old March 30th 08, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASM

Default Flap settings for Dummies

On Mar 29, 4:14*pm, Frank wrote:
At the risk of having my ignorance exposed (again), is there any way a
reasonably competant (another problem in my case) can determine
"optimum" flap settings for the most commonly used speeds/
configurations, without resorting to a full-blown Johnson-style test
program?

I have been flying my new (to me) Ventus 2bx for a year now, and am
reasonably comfortable with the following flap settings (speeds in
kt):

40-60 Flaps L, +2, +1 dep on thermal characteristics
60-80 Flaps 0
80-100 Flaps -1
100+ Flaps -2, only happens on badly planned final glides or with
ballast.

However, I'm not sure how efficient these values are for my glider.
Should I stay with 0 all the way to 90kt, or maybe switch to -1
earlier? *I mean, I've already give everyone else a big lead just due
to the IQ drop I experience immediately after release, so I'd hate to
think that I'm costing myself even more with poor flap settings!

I have played around some with watching the vario in cruise (TE) mode
to see if it makes much difference between 0 and -1 at say, 70kt, but
it's awful hard for me to tell. *Anything else I should be looking
for?

TIA,

Frank (TA)

Frank,

Get yourself Grosskinsky ring made by Winter. You can get it from W&W.
The concept is that you set your ring, mounted on the ASI same way as
the McReady ring, to your weight and simply look at the speed factor
to which the needle is pointing to at the ASI and fly that speed. I
have ring like that on my ASI in my Diana.

Jacek
Pasco, WA