Old July 11th 03, 06:52 AM
Aaron Kahn

Default Minimum rate of climb or descent

What type of checkride was it? I would have asked the inspector to identify
the regulation that was infracted, or identify how the action compromised
safety.

It's true the controllers have expectations (as mentioned by Joe) but I
don't think that in and of itself constitutes a bust. But, then again, the
FAA isn't asking me.

Aaron
part 121 B1900

"No Spam" wrote in message
On 7/3/03 07:12, in article ,
" wrote:

No Spam wrote:

The AIM says to give ATC a call if you can't maintain a rate of climb

or
descent of at least 500 fpm. I thought I read somewhere that ATC

expects a
rate of 500 to 1500 fpm until within 1000 feet of level-off altitude.
Anybody know where this guidance is? Is it different for climbs and
descents?

TIA,

No Spam

AIM 4-4-9 d...read it, you'll find you don't quite have it right.

Thanks, Joe. I was including the word "minimum" in my search and only came
up with paragraph 5-3-3.

Now, do you have any idea what "optimum rate" means? Do you know where it
might say that descents must be at least 1000 fpm?

What started this is our anal POI busted one of our pilots for not
descending at a rate of at least 1000 fpm. When ATC directs an early
descent, our FMS will descend at 750 fpm until it intercepts the standard
descent profile. In the case of our pilot, he didn't override the FMS to
increase the rate to at least 1000 fpm and the POI busted him for it.

No Spam