Old November 4th 04, 02:47 AM
Thomas Schoene

Pechs1 wrote:
Thomas- Which does raise the question ogf what might have happened
to Tomcat availability, etc, if it had been redeisgned from the
ground up in the early 1990s like the Super Hornet. BRBR

To late. If it was going to become the 'Super Tomcat or Tomcat 21, it
needed to happen in the 80s, when $ was everywhere.

I would say that the detailed Super Tomcat work would have been done in
about the same period as the F/A-18E/F, but you're quite right to point out
that the groundwork needed to be laid earlier. If in the early 1980s, they
had comitted to making the whole force into F-14Ds or equivalent, there
would have been a lot more reason to push a next generation version in place
of the Super Bug.

"Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when
wrong to be put right." - Senator Carl Schurz, 1872