Old September 26th 18, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Huthmaker

Default Soaring in or around Maidenhead UK

I wanted to give a final update to everyone who was interested. My trip got off to a pretty rough start. By the time Monday rolled around, I figured that it was most likely that I would not be able to go soaring. Because of that I didnt try to book with a club. Come Tuesday afternoon I called Lasham and Booker. Both were fully booked. Again I assumed that it was not going to happen.

Well I woke up this morning and stopped in to see my customer. Everything was going well, and I realized I was going to have all day to go do something. I pulled up the UK Soaring directory and found 5 clubs reasonably close. I called the first two, and they were fully booked. The next two had bad phone numbers. I made my last call to the Shalbourne Gliding club. When they answered I fully expected them to say they were all booked. To my pleasant surprise they said if I showed up at 1pm they would try to fit me on to their books.

I got there and met with the chief flight instructor. Everyone at the club was really nice. Within probably 20 minutes of my arrival, I got my first winch launch. WOW, that is really something. I assumed it would be pretty thrilling. But actually doing it was simply amazing. We flew in a K13. That was a really glider. Nice a smooth. Probably the most easy to fly plane I've ever been in. And the views were just stellar.

Thank you very much to everyone who replied to my thread. And if anyone from Shalbourne monitors these groups, my hats off to you. Thank you very much for making the time for me.