Old August 15th 05, 01:51 PM
Roy Smith

, wrote:
I don't know anything about the Garmin 480, which I believe Roy was
using.

Yes, I was using a GNS-480 (nee CNX-80).

But, with a Garmin 530 I could select OBS mode while IGN was the
active waypoint, then selected a bearing of 062 to have a correct
outbound reference. Once I turned inbound I could select 242 for proper
sensing, then as I established track cancel the OBS mode and the active
leg should be correct.

I can certainly do "Course To", "Course From", and "OBS" on the 480. These
are all minor variations on what you're describing, with OBS being the most
exact match. I'm not sure, however, if the software will let me do those
things on an approach.

Like any other instrument failure, the hard part is recognizing that there
is a problem. Flying partial panel isn't really that hard; the trick is
noticing that the primary instrument has gone TU and not following it into
oblivion in the first place. Once I figured out something was not right
with the GPS (because the CDI and map displays disagreed), there were lots
of ways to fix it. The trick is noticing in the first place.