Old September 13th 07, 07:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

Default BRS for emergencies

You should contact the Red Wing Soaring Club in Osceola WI. One of their
members installed a Ballistic Recovery Chute in his personal glider a couple
of years ago. I vaguely recall that it cost him around $3,000.

Mike Schumann

"Bryan" wrote in message
The previous posts under "Stay in, or get out?" raises questions about the
current state of ballistic recovery systems. As paraplegic, I have a
personal interest in BRS because thoughts of my successfully exiting an
out of control sailplane with a parachute, and then landing without the
use of my legs, conjure unpleasant thoughts. Although doable for a
paraplegic, the odds of a successful egress and injury free landing are
certainly lower than for an able-bodied pilot. For those reasons, BRS is
for me a viable and probably safer alternative.

I understand that no emergency egress solution is perfect for all
scenarios; they offer various means of risk management. However, I would
appreciate any information or thoughts concerning the effectiveness of BRS
deployment and if the current ground-impact energy absorption systems are
proving effective for pilot protection.

Thanks,
Bryan