Old October 6th 05, 04:44 PM
Mark Dickson

This is a true story, I remember seeing a First Day
Cover commemorating it. Unfortunately I can't remember
any details.

Mark

At 15:36 06 October 2005, Ed Byars wrote:
In the latest Fall edition of TO FLY, publication of
the Sport Avia.
Assoc., I read a reprint of a July 1944 issue of SKYWAYS
mag. about a long
tow! Across the Atlantic no less. I just can't believe
it. Can somebody
help me verify it? No date of the flight was given.
It was a Waco CG-4A
(named Voo-Doo) and was by the British from Montreal
with one stop on the
'east coast'(?). The second leg was 28 hours with landing
in 'Britain'. They
had a cargo load of 3000 pounds. Only pilot (Seys,
RAF) and copilot (Gobeil,
RAF) aboard. Mention was made of thunder, snow and
ice. Quote: '....the snow
and ice were so thick that the towplane, for the most
part, was invisible.
Only fifteen feet or so of the towrope could be seen.'
I have been involved in several long cross country
tows, one of which
involved the towplane towing me into a cloud. I lasted
about 20 seconds
before the rope broke. But that's another story.
If this story is true the details would really be interesting
and my hat's
off. If it is untrue their must be some sort of story
behind it of
interest.
Can anybody fill us in?
Ed Byars