Old October 7th 05, 07:18 PM
JC

On 7 Oct 2005 04:20:32 -0700, "Rusty" wrote:

Hello All:
Try to find a copy of, "One Night in June" by Kevin Shannon & Stephen
Wright. It is "The story of Operation Tonga, the Initial Phase of the
Invasion of Normandy, 1944". It is Tonga as seen through the eyes of
the men of the Glider Regiment. A really good read, my hat is off to
these men!
Rusty

Thanks for the information on "One Night in June". I have ordered a
copy.

Dave Martin wrote:
Mike Cummings account of this flight in June 1943 with
four legs is remarkable, the longest flight being seven
and three quarter hours.

However it was probably not the longest military glider
tow on record. About the same time In the preparation
for the invasion of Sicily July 1943, gliders were
ferried from UK to North Africa some by ship but others
by aerotow.

Part of the planning included endurance training, 8
hours flights on tow!

The ferry journey was some 1200 miles and the airspeed
of 150mph lead to flights of up to 10 hours. Bad weather
and attack by enemy aircraft meant that many did not
reach their destination some survived others did not.
Some pilots made several such flights.

For the interested, accounts of these flights can be
read in

The Glider Gang by Milton Dank ISBN 0-304-300144
Horsa Squadron by Will Morrison ISBN 0-7183-0684-8

Dave

At 02:18 07 October 2005, wrote:
Found a copy for sale 20 pounds British...

http://www.orangeberry.co.uk/obmilitarycat.htm

Bob