Old December 9th 03, 03:18 PM
Grandpa B.

On one of my first dual XC flights (to New Ulm, MN), we were close to the
field. The instructor asked me if I had found it yet. I answered that I
*think* so -- if there's a water tower in the pattern! "Yep. That's it", he
replied. In actuality, the tower is outside a 'normal' pattern, but the
first time you see it, it seems a bit odd.

Huron, SD (HON) has a water tower off the departure end of their southbound
rwy, also. It's painted in a big checkerboard pattern, and is at least a
mile away, but is weird to have in the windshield at takeoff.

Jon B.

"Cub Driver" wrote in message

I think that recognizing airports is one of the most difficult things
a student must do, especially grass fields. One time I was actually in
the pattern to land on a vacant lot, thinking it was my home field.
(Well, I was on the 45...) And always, it seemed to me, the instructor
was saying in a rather worried tone: "Do you see the airport?" and of
course I didn't.

Then there comes the day when airports are the most obvious part of
the landscape. They just leap out at you, especially asphalt runways.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com