Old March 13th 15, 09:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Holroyd

Default First glider Nimbus 2 ?

Definately not a first glider.More like a third.
I've had mine(N2 A) for 16 years and love it to bits.You need to lead with
the rudder in turns,which goes against all I was taught regarding
co-ordinating the controls.If you do not it does a very good demonstration
of aileron drag.
I had a set of retro-fitted "Discus" winglets fitted,which improved matters
tremendously.
I went from a Pik 20 B to the Nimbus and was glad of the flapped experience
gained on the Pik.
Definately suggest flapped experience in a Janus.
Also buy a good set of covers;people tend to disappear when it's rigging
time.

A series of flights in an earlyGenerallAt 08:30 13 March 2015, Bruce Hoult
wrote:
On Friday, March 13, 2015 at 9:20:27 PM UTC+13, Surge wrote:
On Friday, 13 March 2015 08:10:53 UTC+2, Bruce Hoult wrote:
I definitely would recommend you to find an early model Janus and do

=
few dual flights in it before flying the Nimbus (preferably before
deciding=
to buy it), even if you have to travel to do so.
=20
Thanks, that's an excellent suggestion and a privately owned Janus

(first=
one built) is located at the club I fly at.

By the way, we tried the tail chute on our Janus a few times and then
disab=
led it.

The airbrakes are not all that strong (neither are those in the Duo
Discus!=
), but landing flap plus airbrake together are as effective as the brakes
i=
n most other gliders. Plus add in side slip and you've got a massively
stee=
p descent. You don't want to do that all the way to the ground, but it
will=
get you down to a normal approach angle and then I'd say recover from

the
=
slip by 100 or 150 ft.

I don't think the parachute offers anything more than do the other tools
at=
your disposal -- tools which you can apply and take off repeatedly if
nece=
ssary.=20

I don't know how similar the Nimbus is in that regard. I'd suspect pretty
s=
imilar, but I don't know for sure.