Old December 22nd 11, 05:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T[_2_]

Default Does the FAA have written policy WRT landouts?

On Dec 21, 8:29*pm, Larry Suter wrote:
A student landed out just short of our airport in our club's 1-26 last
Saturday. No damage, no injuries, glider readily returned to it's
tiedown.

Apparently, the airport manager told his bosses about it and they
chewed him out for not immediately reporting the landout to NTSB.

The story goes on longer but I'll spare the details and cut-to-the-
chase. Does the FAA have any written policy/advisory circulars on
landouts that don't involve damage or injury and whether or not
they're reportable to NTSB? (Presumably, they're not reportable). All
this must have been played out many times before at public airports
where there is gliding.

I'm really after written documentation of FAA policy, not opinion or
haranguing. Some of our club members appear to have tried the latter
with the net result of creating hard feelings.

Thanks,
Larry

Our local airport management believes that all on or off airport
flying incidents need to be reported to NTSB and FSDO.
We explain the NTSB 830 regulations and criteria for reporting. But we
still get the "call NTSB and tell us what they say".

We appease them, we call, self report, and then inform the management
that it was accomplished. Sometimes an off airport landing may be
called in by an innocent person unknowingly reporting an aircraft
accident. Then the first responders are involved and they have already
called FAA for you.

I know of no FAA Circulars involving off airport landings by gliders.
Some states and municipalities have issues with using there roads for
a landing zone.