Old October 20th 04, 04:23 PM
Marco Leon

As a point of reference, I asked a Garmin rep yesterday as to their plans
for WAAS and terrain for the 430. They expect to offer the terrain
(non-TAWS) in about 8 weeks time at a price of $500. They need to make a
physical change to the unit (a new map board) and upgrade the software.
Garmin wants to first make sure they can deliver the TAWS upgrades to the
530 to meet compliance dates. As for WAAS, they are targeting 1st quarter of
next year at a price of $1,500. This will require a processor change and
software upgrade. I don't remember him mentioning any other hardware
changes.

So to get WAAS and terrain, the 430 becomes comparable to the 480 in price
($1,000 difference). What the 480 will lack in terrain and VFR mapping
features, it kinda makes up for in victor airways and a slightly larger
screen. My own opinion is that the user interface is not as intuitive as the
430 and it doesn't fit the user-friendly strategy that Garmin has
captialized on. I bet the engineers are working on an upgraded UI for the
430 and 530 that will include the handful of benefits the 480 offers. Think
about it, if the 430/530 had victor airways and once it's upgraded to WAAS,
what does the 480 have over the 430/530? IMHO, I think the 480 is more in
danger of being nixed than the 430.

Marco Leon
N36616

"Roy Page" wrote in message
nk.net...
I was all ready to install a GNS 430 but now feeling that a GNS 480 may be

better option.
Although more expensive, I am getting the impression that the GNS 480 has
significant advantages.
It seems that UPS stole a lead on Garmin with their WAAS approved unit.
Now with Garmin owning the brand and the UPS unit being budged as the

Garmin
AT GNS 480 I am not sure which unit to install.
Will Garmin upgrade the 430's display and software to give it WAAS
capability or will they just upgrade the GNS 530 and leave the 430 a poor
relation ??
Over to the group to help me decide - Install a 430 or 480 ?

Roy Page [N5804F Archer II]
Beloit Ohio 44609