Old April 14th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Circle to Land @ KRBG

Jim Macklin wrote:
The FAA will establish controlled airspace as part of the
authorization of an IAP. The FAA must have control of
airspace in order to issue a clearance, Class G does not
meet that requirement.

We seem to have a problem, my experience is just what I've
said...
8,000 hours;FAR 141 former chief flight instructor, FAR 135
Director of Operations, single-pilot IFR in all models King
Air 90 ,200 and 300 and other ASEL/AMEL Beech aircraft.
Gold Seal CFI ASMEI. No violations.

What do you have? What do you think I'm fibbing about?

I've met a lot (too many, actually) pilots who have similar such
credentials and, alas, who never really mastered some of the finer
points of airspace.

EVERY IAP at a CLass E airport (excepting those with Class E surface
areas) that has a MDA or DA with a HAT (or HAA for circling) of less
than 700 feet has some portion of the final approach and missed approach
segments in Glass G airspace.

You are correct in that ATC cannot issue IFR clearances in Class G
airspace. But, when you are cleared for an approach to an airport with
an MDA or DA well below Class E airspace, you are not yet in Class G
airspace, thus the clearance is proper. It is up to you to not descend
below the floor of Class E airspace in the final approach segment, if
you choose to remain in Class E airspace. That is not a concern for ATC.

OTOH, if you are issued a departure clearance from such an airport, it
will contain the caveat "...upon entering controlled airspace.." because
you are in Class G airspace when issued the departure clearance.