Old July 17th 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Default Advice on PPL

typo alert 2 seat limit for LSA and LS pilots.

Actually getting the certificate (license) often takes more,
sometimes much more time. This is often a result of drawn
out training programs.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

"Jim Macklin" wrote
in message news:0RLug.77284$ZW3.43169@dukeread04...
| Flying only once per month is a waste of your money, you
| just can't make effective progress at that rate. You'll
be
| spending money and each lesson will be mostly review of
what
| you forgot in the past 29 days.
|
| Save your money until you can afford to fly at least twice
| week, three times is better.
|
| As far as Australian rules, I'm in the USA and we now have
| certificates issued for Student pilot, you just have to be
| breathing. Light Sport Pilot requires 20 hours total time
| and allows you to fly Light Sport Aircraft 92 seats,
simple,
| like a Piper Cub. Recreational Pilot has many
restrictions

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...61_main_02.tpl

| Google for Australian pilot license and see
| http://www.casa.gov.au/ for your laws and other useful
| links.
|
| Browsing they have these links
| http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/learntofly.htm
| http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/stages.htm
| http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/fcl_req.htm
|

| --
| James H. Macklin
| ATP,CFI,A&P
|

| "Crash Lander" wrote in message
|| Hi guys and gals!
|| Just heard about this group from a regular here (I think
| he's a regular
|| here!), and thought I'd take the opporyunity to ask a
| question that's been
|| bugging me.
|| I am going to start flying lessons within the next few
| months, come hell or
|| high water, and have started investigating what is
| involved. Due to budget
|| constraints, the lessons will be fairly thinly spaced,
| probably only 1
|| lesson a month, but maybe 2 or 3 in the first month.
| (Gotta love a decent
|| tax refund cheque!)
|| I live in Australia, so this question relates to
| regulations in Australia.
|| (Obviously! :-))
|| I have been told by a guy I know who flies for Cathay
| Pacific, that I can
|| learn to fly in an 'Ultra Light' and still nd up with a
| PPL. By Ultra Light
|| he means something like a Jabiru, and not a hang glider
| with a lawnmower
|| engine bolted on the back. He indicated that it would be
| much cheaper, and
|| I'd only need about 5 hours in a Cessna to complete the
| licence.
|| One flight school I rang, actually suggested I use their
| Jabiru to learn in,
|| and I'd end up with a full PPL at the end, puely with
| lessons in the Jabiru!
|| Is this correct? Can it be done in this type of a/c from
| start to finish?
|| (Talking only to PPL here, no IFR ratings or night
ratings
| or anything like
|| that.) If so, it seems like the way to go for me. The
| flight school said the
|| average cost would drop from around $12,000 to around
| $8,000 in total! The
|| flight school said the Jabiru, or Gazelle for flight
| instruction is $30
|| cheaper per hour than a C150, and $60 cheaper per hour
| than a C172 or PA28!
|| If I can end up with a PPL from the Jabiru or Gazelle, am
| I then still
|| licenced to fly the Cessnas, or am I only qualified to
fly