Old July 18th 06, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Default Advice on PPL

That is unusual, but such advice is for the average student.
Just to mention an extreme case the other way. We had a
senior partner from a major law firm who came out to learn
to fly. He had millions of dollars and was very heavily
scheduled in court. Often he would get one or two lessons a
month and then be called out of town for a trial in the
capital or even some other state for months at a stretch.
And he did some pro bono work when he saw some injustice.
The result, even though he was very intelligent and a good
study, he took 90 hours to solo. He then dropped out of
training and said he had done what he needed to do for his
ego, he soloed. Then he said that he had learned that his
schedule would never allow him to become his own pilot for
trips to various court dates. He said he knew when to quit
and how to hire a charter pilot. A wise lawyer. He might
have done better if I had been his regular instructor, but I
doubt that.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
| Jim Macklin wrote:
| Flying only once per month is a waste of your money, you
| just can't make effective progress at that rate. You'll
be
| spending money and each lesson will be mostly review of
what
| you forgot in the past 29 days.
|
| Save your money until you can afford to fly at least
twice a
| week, three times is better.
|
| Once a month is pretty tough, but you don't need twice a
week. I