Old July 18th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Default Advice on PPL

You'll have to read the Australian regulations, URLs
previously posted, to get the exact answer or ask the CFI at
the airport. But it is my understanding that you will need
a formal check-ride in the different airplane, but the
skills and experience in the small and less expensive
airplane is credited, you don't have to start over again
with each airplane type. It will be less expensive using
the less expensive airplane as much as possible.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

"Crash Lander" wrote in message
| My goal is to just get up there. I'm not looking to have
my licence in
| record time, or anything like that. I'm only 33 years old,
so I have plenty
| of time, considering a lot of people don't start learning
until they're in
| their 50's and even later.
| With 2 kids, a wife, and only 1 wage, more regular lessons
are not really an
| option. Once a month I should be able to afford fairly
easily, with the
| occasional month being able to spring for 2 or perhaps 3
at a stretch. My
| question was asked in the hope that if I can in fact get
my PPL in the
| Jabiru or Gazelle, then I MAY in fact be able to have 2
per month as my
| minimum due to the cost savings. I guess the main answer
I'm looking for is
| this. In Australia, if I only use a Jabiru or Gazelle from
start to PPL,
| would I be qualified to legally fly a Cessna 4 seater
without further
| training or testing?
| Cheers,
| Crash Lander
|
| --
|
| Chris Rosman
| Delta Carpets Geelong
| p: 5221 4222
| m: 0414 936 170
| f: 5221 8178
| e:
| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message
| Some schools offer discounts for pre-payment. Often
those
| schools are just like the new gym/health club that
opened
| down the street. In two months it will be closed and
those
| pre-paid memberships will be gone. But there are
options,
| schools like Spartan or Flight Safety [just to name two]
are
| solid companies that have been in business and you can
use a
| bank and write a check every lesson or once a week. If
| you've got the cash, you fly often and pay as you go.
|
| The point is that unless you fly twice a week, your
progress
| will be VERY slow since too much time between lessons
means
| you spend moist of your time re-learning the same thing
over
| and over and don't get to the new stuff.
|

| --
| James H. Macklin
| ATP,CFI,A&P
|
| "Bob Gardner" wrote in message
| . ..
| | I'm glad that prepayment worked for you. When an
school I
| worked for went
| | belly-up, students with money on account were left
without
| any recourse.
| |
| | Bob Gardner
| |
| | "steve" wrote in message
| | . ..
| | Great advice!
| |
| | I deposited the entire amount ($2,000 in 1978) with
the
| flight center and
| | flew an average of 4 days/week. This made it
possible to
| solo at 8.5 hours
| | and get my PPL at 42 hours. I am not bragging, just
| stating that what Jim
| | recommended really works.
| |
| | Steve
| |
| | "Jim Macklin"
| wrote in message
| | Flying only once per month is a waste of your
money,
| you
| | just can't make effective progress at that rate.
| You'll be
| | spending money and each lesson will be mostly
review of
| what
| | you forgot in the past 29 days.
| |
| | Save your money until you can afford to fly at
least
| twice a
| | week, three times is better.
| |
| | As far as Australian rules, I'm in the USA and we
now
| have
| | certificates issued for Student pilot, you just
have to
| be
| | breathing. Light Sport Pilot requires 20 hours
total
| time
| | and allows you to fly Light Sport Aircraft 92
seats,
| simple,
| | like a Piper Cub. Recreational Pilot has many
| restrictions
| | on where you can fly and never became popular in
the
| USA.
| | The Private Pilot certificate requires 40 hours and
is
| | limited to non-commercial, paid flying. The
experience
| | gained at each level is transferable and applicable
| the
| | next higher certificate. Using a less expensive
| airplane,
| | with lower cost and performance saves money.
| |
| | Here are links to the USA rules
| |

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...61_main_02.tpl
| |
| | Google for Australian pilot license and see
| | http://www.casa.gov.au/ for your laws and other
useful
| | links.
| |
| | Browsing they have these links
| | http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/learntofly.htm
| | http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/stages.htm
| | http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/fcl_req.htm
| |
| |
| | --
| | James H. Macklin
| | ATP,CFI,A&P
| |
| |
| | "Crash Lander" wrote in message
| | | Hi guys and gals!
| | | Just heard about this group from a regular here
(I
| think
| | he's a regular
| | | here!), and thought I'd take the opporyunity to
ask a
| | question that's been
| | | bugging me.
| | | I am going to start flying lessons within the
next
| few
| | months, come hell or
| | | high water, and have started investigating what
is
| | involved. Due to budget
| | | constraints, the lessons will be fairly thinly
| spaced,
| | probably only 1
| | | lesson a month, but maybe 2 or 3 in the first
month.
| | (Gotta love a decent
| | | tax refund cheque!)
| | | I live in Australia, so this question relates to
| | regulations in Australia.
| | | (Obviously! :-))
| | | I have been told by a guy I know who flies for
Cathay
| | Pacific, that I can
| | | learn to fly in an 'Ultra Light' and still nd up
with
| | PPL. By Ultra Light
| | | he means something like a Jabiru, and not a hang
| glider
| | with a lawnmower
| | | engine bolted on the back. He indicated that it
would
| be
| | much cheaper, and
| | | I'd only need about 5 hours in a Cessna to
complete
| the
| | licence.
| | | One flight school I rang, actually suggested I
use
| their
| | Jabiru to learn in,
| | | and I'd end up with a full PPL at the end, puely
with
| | lessons in the Jabiru!
| | | Is this correct? Can it be done in this type of
a/c
| from
| | start to finish?
| | | (Talking only to PPL here, no IFR ratings or
night
| ratings
| | or anything like
| | | that.) If so, it seems like the way to go for me.
The
| | flight school said the
| | | average cost would drop from around $12,000 to
around
| | $8,000 in total! The
| | | flight school said the Jabiru, or Gazelle for
flight
| | instruction is $30
| | | cheaper per hour than a C150, and $60 cheaper per
| hour
| | than a C172 or PA28!
| | | If I can end up with a PPL from the Jabiru or
| Gazelle, am
| | I then still
| | | licenced to fly the Cessnas, or am I only
qualified
| to fly
| | the smaller
| | | Jabirus or Gazelles?
| | | Sorry for the dumb questions, but a guy needs to
| start
| | somewhere.
| | | Thanks in advance,
| | | Crash Lander