Old January 3rd 04, 12:36 PM
Ben Full

The Raven.exe failed a turing test with the following:

"Ben Full" my name @NOSPAM.btinternet.com wrote in message
weremoth.exe failed a turing test with the following:

I've been told if you were to eject from an English Electric/BAC
Lightning, the instrument panel could take your kneecaps off. Can
anyone confirm or deny?

My best friend's father had the 'pleasure' of ejecting from a
Lightning at RAF Coltishall in the late 70's. He still has both his
kneecaps. The medicals make sure that your buttock to knee length
is within limits to prevent this sort of thing. I think the cockpit
design team at BAC in Warton looked into it as well.

I believe the Mirage III, Maachi MB-326, and other aircraft had
similar issues. I definitely know my knees wouldn't clear a Maachi
panel, the Mirage though seemed to have sufficent room.

The story I'm told about the Mirages is that potential RAAF pilots
with leg issues would only be accepted if they agreed to the ejection
risk. How true that is another matter.

Interesting. I guess it will just make selection for certain types a bit
more rigid. We have some really tall pilots around at work. You can tell
they arent fast jet boys though - some would certainly part company with
their knees. Not such a problem in helis or heavies.

regards

Ben Full

PS great tagline!

--