Old December 16th 07, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Bonanza (A36) Approach Speeds

On Dec 16, 1:24 pm, "Jim Macklin"
wrote:
I used speed on VFR approaches that were comfortable in the VFR pattern. At
busy airports, I might fly the ILS at 140 KIAS to keep up with the jet ahead
and behind. As long as the gear was working, slowing down was not a
problem. VFR I would maintain high speed until the last mile, on an ILS
until break-out.

If you want to make every approach the same, 105 isn't a bad choice. It is
too high for a short grass strip and too slow for ATL or ORD.

The A36 has a big speed envelope and speed changes with weight.

I don't know of any grass strips with an IAP (at least around here
(Southwest PA).

Agree that the A36 has a big speed envelope -- but I'm leaning towards
slow is better for most situations. No doubt landing at a busy air
terminal will require a different approach, but the real advantage of
GA is avoiding the ATL and ORD and landing at a nearby relieved field.

Dan
http://trainingforcfi.blogspot.com/