Old May 24th 08, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
More_Flaps

Default Fear the Reaper

On May 25, 5:55*am, Dudley Henriques wrote:
More_Flaps wrote:
On May 24, 10:11 am, Larry Dighera wrote:
On Fri, 23 May 2008 12:09:49 -0700, gatt
wrote in
:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/05/23/dro...ml#cnnSTCVideo
Death from above. I know guys who gave up $10/hr tech support jobs who
are now flying these things. * Seems tempting, but, I'm tired of the
office life. *On the other hand, at least it would be for a good cause.
-c
It sort of increases the impersonalization the bombing of people. 500#
bombs are targeted from half way around the world by kids. *

How long will it be before something similar is used domestically for
ATF raids and boarder enforcement (or traffic citations)?

* *http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/05/23/dro...tml#cnnSTCText
* * The newly declassified video shows a 500-pound bomb slamming into
* * a suspected Taliban bunker in southern Afghanistan this year.

* * Another video clip shows a 500-pound bomb, aimed and fired by a
* * pilot at Creech Air Force Base in the Nevada desert, striking two
* * insurgents in Afghanistan as they try to escape on a motorcycle..

2 observations: Does it really warrant a 500# bomb to kill 2 men and
second how do they know they are not just civilians, -were they armed?
This sort of video war game is very very dangerous because it
dehumanises the act of killing.

Cheers

Is there REALLY a humanized side to killing? Even soldiers, and this
would include every one I've ever known, when they come back from combat
that has involved killing, (and I mean killing the enemy not civilians)
are never quite the same again. All have suffered some form of
dehumanization process.

What I am getting at is that war should be hell and people should not
want to fight it nor politicians start it. If you accept the
popularity of shoot em up games, then to make the killing of a real
person just the same is a very very bad thing to do. Having heard
gunship pilots whooping with glee as they blew away men who could not
see them and whom were not positively identified as combatants in the
FLIR image, yes I would say that there is dehumanization present...

Cheers