Old July 16th 06, 10:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Mikko Pietilä

Default How do you pronounce "Mi" as in Mil Mi-8

On 4 Jul 2006 15:29:50 -0700, "Justin"
wrote:

I presume it's not "em eye", as the "i" is often in lower case. So what
it is? Me, mih, my?

Thanks, Justin.

I remember having been told that the original Russian pronounciation
is "mi" (as in the word "mist") pronounced as one syllable.

In spite of this and the history of the first generation of our pilots
and engineers being trained in Russia and the younger guys having been
to Russia to fly simulator, for aircraft overhauls and other regular
communication associated with aircraft life-cycle support, the
aircraft is in Finnish always called "em eye" .

Mikko