Old August 15th 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter Clark

Default 430W doubling in cost?

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 06:54:43 -0500, "Dan Luke"
wrote:

"Viperdoc" wrote:

Just did an RNAV/GPS approach today, and this again confirms the decision to
go with the WAAS upgrade.

Rumor has it that the WAAS upgrade for the pre-2007 G1000s will cost ~$15,000,
plus labor.

I'd like to have it, but if the rumor is true, I doubt I'll take the plunge.

That rumored price is also rumored not to include the likely $5k-$7k
core credit for the GIAs, making it $8k-$10k. $4k/box would almost
the same as the 430/530 upgrade after the promotion period. I don't
have a parts manual handy, but I think the comdat's that are already
installed are the same comdats as the WAAS birds, so the labor is
likely to be something like 1hr to swap the boxes and maybe 1.5 to
install the WAAS version of the new system software. Even if they're
not, it only takes .5 hours to swap one of those antenni out and RTV
around the edge. The upgrade should be a 1/2 day affair, if even.

It'll be interesting to see what's going on with the upgrade, but I
doubt they're putting much attention towards it with the AHARS issue.
Course, that's not neccessarily Cessna's labor to spin fixing, so
maybe they will get the SB out on time.