Old July 20th 03, 05:09 AM
Teacherjh

How does a country "meet" a standard which is nothing but a mathematical
model that describes the configuration of the earth?

Kind of like passing a law saying that the North Pole is located in Hawaii. Do
that and all but two of the lat long figures have to change, and become
"incompatible" with countries which have not adopted this new learning.

Actually, we do this all the time. For some people, the North Pole is located
in northern Canada. At the same time, for other people, it's located somewhere
under the Arctic Circle. And the funny thing is, some people subscribe to both
world views simultaneously. Very odd, but that magnetic thing in the window is
more useful that way.

Jose