Old June 27th 05, 10:45 PM

Default pagers/rim in the cockpit?

dear experts---is it legal to use a pager and/or RIM blackberry device
in the cockpit, or has the FCC outlawed this, just like ordinary
cellphones, too?

I saw a website of some service (via
http://www.aspenleaf.com/palm/radar.html) that supposedly clips nexrad
images into pager messages that I could request from the air. there
are some other services that seem to use blackberries. are any of
these legal if used from the air? if not, this would be a very cheap
way to get basic weather into the cockpit.

of course, the aforementioned service no longer seems to have a
website, at least right now as I am writing this, but it is the
principle that is interesting here.

sincerely,

/iaw