Old July 26th 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Roy Smith

Default Temporarily removing fuel and replacing it into the same aircraft

In article ,
B A R R Y wrote:

Maxwell wrote:

If you didn't go with a continuous wire, wouldn't you be gambling on a
possible arc between links?

The sash chain I'm familiar with has small, very tight links. It's
almost like an extra flexible bicycle chain. Personally, I use a wire,
because I have it.

As for the chain, you have a point, but I'd have to think conditions
would have to be so perfect...

Chains are often used for grounding, I think in part because they are so
flexible. Wire tends to curl and kink. It's easy to imagine scenarios
where a wire develops a kink which keeps it from making contact with what
it's supposed to be touching.

I'm thinking of things like chains hanging from the bottom of fuel trucks,
with the end dangling on the road surface. This is an application where
gravity provides the contact force. Where you've got clamps to make the
contact, it's probably less of an issue.