Old May 24th 04, 12:12 PM
Dylan Smith

In article , Thomas J. Paladino Jr. wrote:
So it begs the question, why are there no small turboprops in the 100-300hp
range for use on GA aircraft?

Cost. I believe even the relatively small turbines are two orders of
magnitude more expensive than the piston engine of the same power.
Turbines tend to have parts made from exotic metals that aren't
straightforward to manufacture. Also, small turbines are markedly less
fuel efficient than a piston engine of the same horsepower (especially
at the altitudes we fly at).

If it wasn't for the exhorbitant cost of a new turbine, I'd far prefer
them - easier to operate, cooling issues aren't as problematic, and with
modern electronic control I'm sure that operating one can be made
damn-foolproof, not just foolproof.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net