Old April 16th 04, 01:52 PM
Bert Willing

If you have a 3-way probe at the fin, electronic compensation will work
perfectly as the positioning of the static is very good and you can adjust
the proper compensation level in-flight.
--
Bert Willing

ASW20 "TW"

"Arnie" a écrit dans le message de
. com...
Depends on what u mean by "compensated" varios.

There are three ways to achieve TE compensation, usually :
*Electronic via flight computer (which u ruled out, but also it isn't very
good, it needs VERY accurate pitot-static, among other problems),
*Diaphragm (old solution, and good only for the altitude it was calibrated
for)
*TE Probe (the simplest and most accurate one).

Both an all "mechanical" vario, or a new electronic one (the ones that
"beep") will require a TE probe to achieve the best results.
An old and very good diaphragm compensator used to be manufactured in the
70s by Wil Schueman, but like I said, it would be good only for the

altitude
range it was calibrated for.
SZD also used to sell their gliders with cheap diaphragm compensators that
become brittle after a few years.
But I don't think they would be easy to find these days.

There's a reason everybody adopted TE probes : They are simple and the

most
effective way to do it.

"Robert" wrote in message
om...
Hello! Can someone tell me which compensated varios do not need a
total energy probe? (no electronic compensation) Thanks a lot! Robert