Old August 11th 03, 03:40 AM
Mark T. Mueller

The GDL49 / EchoFlight solutions are actually much less expensive that
either WSI or the XM/WxWorx systems. However, after considerable research, I
have concluded the GDL49 is not currently a viable solution for me. The
download rate is an anemic 2800 baud, and the data resolution is in the 4 -
10 km range, far to coarse to make any but the most basic strategic weather
decisions. There is also the issue with the VHF band used for the datalink
is VERY close to your Com bands, so I have heard some grumblings about bad
installs and interference with the datalink from Com (i.e. don't key the
mike if you are trying to get wx data...) I have also heard horror stories
about data age and delays in the request/receive. No other system is
compatible with the 430/530 at this time. I have personally written off this
technology unless Garmin figures out a better compression scheme and they
solve the interference and data age problem.

Notice that Garmin has opted for the WxWorx/XM Radio solution for their new,
high dollar G1000 system, the GDL49 wasn't considered.

WSI certified boxes run in the $5K range plus install. I still cannot
understand how you can mount an "uncertified" box on an aircraft without an
STC or 337 approval. You will need an additional antenna, and cable runs.
WxWorx claims to have a "portable" system, but I still think you need one of
their antennas mounted and cables run, so as far as a "less expensive"
system, I doubt it.

All the "broadcast" systems to date have been in the $50/month range.
Echoflight has three different subscription plans, I think it was in the
$40/month range.

The King system using ground based towers has huge holes in coverage,
especially where I tend to fly, so it is useless for me, and I doubt a
ground based system will ever have utility for me.

The technology is here for quality broadcast weather, but it still looks
like it will be some time before a truely portable or certified system at a
reasonable cost is available. It really surprises me that I bought a Sirius
Satellite Radio for $100 that is 100% portable (including antenna that sits
on my glareshield) and plugs into my music jack and lighter outlet and pay
$12/month for 100 channels, but I can't get a 100% portable wx broadcast
system, and still have to shell out over $4K+ $50/month!!!! About the only
thing on the market that is reasonable and functional at the moment appears
to be AnywhereWx using a Globalstar sat phone, but there are issues with
interference from some models of the KT76 transponder.

Looks like it will be another year or two...

"Tom S." wrote in message

"Richard Kaplan" wrote in message
"Dan Luke" wrote in message

What, in your opinion, makes this system superior to Bendix/King's KMD

250,
KDR 510 uplink system? Both are transmission systems, one satellite,

one
ground, how do they compare otherwise?

One of the main problems with the Bendix/King system is that since it is
ground-based, in many situations you cannot use it to get a weather

picture
before takeoff or at "low" altitude ("low" depending on how near a
transmission station is to where you are flying, of course). So it

might
not be available when you really want to use it.

Another nice feature of the WSI system is that the data is the same as

what
you see on the Internet at www.intellicast.com and it is also the same

data
most of us see at FBOs across the country -- please correct me if I am
wrong, but I do not think there is an Internet site to view the data in

the
Bendix/King system. This is important because there is a learning curve

in
any radar or Nexrad system to learn how to interpret the graphics from

the
perspective of "Am I willing to fly thorugh that?"

How is it (Nexrad) different?

Most of us are already
quite familiar with radar images from Intellicast or from WSI computers

at
FBOs. With the Bendix/King system, you may not even be able to turn on
your avionics on the ground to work through this learning curve.

I suspect the Garmin 400/500 series with a GDL49 uplink and a subscription
to EchoFlight would be more expensive?? Or EchoFlight with their Flight
Cheetah?

http://www.garmin.com/products/gdl49/
http://www.echoflight.com/data_link.html