Old May 13th 08, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

Default Has anyone built their own landing gear?

On May 13, 3:16 pm, "Rich S."
wrote:
"Lou" wrote in message

Hi Rich,
This sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. Is it a bad idea to
ask if you still have
the drawings for the landing gear?. By the way, what the heck is the
milk stool.

Lou .............

Last question first - "Milk Stool" is a sort of derogatory term for a
tricycle landing gear. I went to the web site and see that you are planning
just that.

Since you are already dealing with Sylvie Littner, I might suggest the most
ethical thing to do would be to give her a call and see if she'll run off a
copy of the Emeraude landing gear plans (one sheet) and sell them to you at
a reasonable cost. Failing that, I do have my copy of the gear plans and
could figure out some way for you to get the necessary specs. Mine are from
a source that is out of business and are not from the current model plans
which Littner sell.

The bugaboo here is that the Emeraude has a conventional gear. (two mains &
a tailwheel) You'd be venturing into unknown territory to adapt the design
to a tri-wheel configuration. I believe Falconarhttp://www.falconaravia.com/sells plans for a tri-gear Emeraude
modification which may contain all the info you need.

Another possibility which comes to mind is that Sylvie has (or recently had)
a few oleo struts which were nose gear struts from Aero Commander Darters.
They were stored in her basement shower room and she badly wanted to sell
them and get them out of there. A fellow in Pittsburgh used two of them as
main gear legs on his Emeraude and they were as light as my non-oleo legs.
His biggest problem was machining a bevel piece to fit between the strut and
the fork, so the wheel was 90 deg. to the ground instead of at the dihedral
angle.

So, there are some options for you. Give those folks a call and see what
they suggest.

Rich S.

How about that, I learn something new every day. Actually, I've asked
Sylvia about a set of
landing gear plans and she offered to sell me a set for about $400,
and she would through
in the whole set of plans.. I do remember her selling the struts and
if I remember correctly
she wanted a pretty penny for them.
I've got an idea of how I want to do them, what I need most of all
is the correct type of materials,
(steel Aluminum 7073, 6061) and thickness that I can count on. Getting
springs and struts to do what
I want isn't exactly rocket science. A drawing always helps, so yes, I
love to have one, but the more
important information is the kind, type and thickness of the
materials.
Lou