Old March 22nd 17, 03:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

Default Confor foam cushions - firmness?

I used extra firm green under the thin cushion that came with the glider. Confor needs its own cover to protect it from abrasion and UV, though that can be a single layer of cloth.

Green Confor is hard as a rock when cold, but warms with body heat to shape with no pressure points while providing the highest level of protection compared to the less dense favors. If you have extra room, then layering with less dense Confor is good, but if all you have is a an inch or two, for maximum protection I'd go with green alone - this won't compromise comfort save for the first few minutes.

I shaped the Confor in my last two gliders to evenly support thighs as well, this also reduces load on the butt and spine.

Confor cuts and shapes using an electric carving knife, and also shapes with a belt sander when cold (use caution, as frozen or very cold Confor is brittle and will snap if bent or bent quickly). Sanding will have you covered in it, but it blows off easily.

Easy to make thicker slabs by bonding sheets together with 3M 77 or 90 spray adhesive . . . much harder to make a thick slab thinner (though a hot wire would probably work nicely - used that on other foam but not Confor).

If it's to be the primary cushion (no cover cushion), it's common to bond a thin layer (1/4" ?) of polyfoam onto the Confor so it fits within the upholstery nicely without wrinkles (the polyfoam rebounds quickly to hold the upholstery snugly) and has a better initial feel.