Old March 8th 16, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Default Wedekind Sleeve Source?

On Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 11:59:33 AM UTC-5, BobW wrote:
I thought WD-40 was kerosene and perfume. It is a not a very good
lubricant, it is great at displacing water.

You gotta love the internet...source of all the world's answers, some of them
even correct.

Some years ago I heard an interview of the then CEO of the creating company of
WD-40. His version pretty much matched what you'll find at:

http://brokensecrets.com/2010/06/11/...ents-and-uses/

though he was more explicit when explaining that to "protect the Atlas missile
from corrosion" meant its many, external, electrical connectors. Basically, it
was intended originally to discourage (by displacement if necessary) water
from those entering into those connectors while the missiles sat on the
launching pad, often for extended periods of time. Sadly, he didn't comment on
the source of the wonderful (IMHO!) scent...

Having occasionally used it when messing with sailplanes, makes the above
information - worth every cent you paid for it - acceptable content for this
newsgroup.

Bob - auto-connecting since 1981 - W.

Dang, I thought I could sell that fish story :-).

Glad you enjoyed your chuckle, but don't use that garbage on an airplane!

best,
Evan