Old December 15th 04, 04:18 AM
Jim Burns

Selwaykid's comment about ag pilots is dead on. I've grown up on and still
work on a vegetable farm and have a close relationship with our ag pilots.
I've seen several make emergency landings off airport. Most walk away
shaken, but not stirred. Those that do not constantly pay attention to
where they would land sometimes do not walk away. They have to have a
landing spot in mind at all times because unlike GA pilots, their first move
isn't to "pick" or head to a landing spot. It's dump the load, climb, then
head to the landing spot that they already have in their mind.

Next time you get around a "good" ag pilot, not just a wind bag, pull him
aside and ask him what he watches for and keeps in the back of his head at
all times.

Jim

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank your for a very informative reply, Jim. I need to look for more
information on survival articles/books that you refer to because I did
not think of some of the issues you mentioned. One probably gets only
one chance to do it right.

Deep

---