Old December 15th 04, 04:06 PM
Maule Driver

Good point about difficult to find. I remember a glider crash into the
trees during a competition in the Pennslyvania appalacians. We were on the
ground listening to the pilot try to direct overhead searching aircraft and
on the ground walking searchers to where he was hung in the trees. Finally
he had to get himself out and down and walk out. The bright white Glider
was never seen from the air. Had to walk back in the next day to get it.

Perhaps one of the more important tasks is making sure that ELT works. (not
req'd in gliders)

wrote in message
ups.com...
.. I was
part of a search for a pilot in the Amazon in the early 60's when he
lost his engine about :05 out. We searched for him for two weeks and
never saw a sign. He came stumbling out of the jungle on day 15 non the
less for wear and tear. The trees there were at least 200' tall and
dense undergrowth. He worked his way back by trying to follow the
sounds of the occasional aircraft taking off. He had aimed for the base
of the trees and when we went back to the crash site could see his
crash path. From the air it was nearly impossible to spot.
So, you take your chances and hope for the best.
Ol Shy & Bashful