Old October 18th 18, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Default Greatful for this group

On Thursday, October 18, 2018 at 8:11:02 AM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
A few nights ago I stumbled into a conversation on FB Tail Draggers Unit. The question was as simple as it gets: Airspeed, controlled by power or pitch? I know simple, but there so many that were sure the answer was power or a combination of power and pitch. Some thought power controlled speed and pitch controls glide slope. Even a pilot with 25K flew the "big stuff in 3rd world countries without autopilot". This guy also flew T-6's (a heavy underpowered aircraft) in a demo team! Thank God for glider pilots that know the basics. And thank you to all the true geniuses that contribute to this group! Next time I get into an airliner I hope my pilot trained in gliders.

Before departure, I generally go into the cockpit of airliners and ask what they fly for fun.
Last time got the wrong answer, neither currently owned an aircraft.
A few flights ago the B777 FO's first job in aviation was giving rides in a Blanik. Slept better on that one.
Jim