Old October 22nd 05, 06:16 AM
Dean A. Scott

Default Strobe Lights

... Aviation strobes use 25 joule, double loop U-tubes...

Are you sure about the 4 joule vs. 25 joule rating? The rating for the
individual strobes tubes I have is given as 32 watts each.

What I'm sure of it that there's a range of tube wattages just like
there are light bulbs. 20-25 watts is the typical low range for the
double loop U's, but obviously they go up to higher wattages, too.
And, yes, I'm sure the ordinary everyday horseshoe U-tubes are 4-5
watts. That's not to say there aren't any industrial sized U's at
higher wattages, just you won't find them in $20 automotive roadside
emergency beacons and most disco strobes.

But DANG! Look at the size of that Whelan power supply! Sure, you
don't get any variable pattern with the tiny little Tomar unit, but
for $98 for a rugged, dual-head kit, that gives the appearance of
twice the brightness of regular, single-shot strobes and far longer
tube life, what's not to like?

Dean A. Scott, mfa
School of Visual Art and Design
southern adventist university