Old September 13th 17, 08:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

Default Nimbus 2B flaps/trim

On Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at 11:06:52 AM UTC-6, Aaron Thomson wrote:
Gents, Aaron Thomson here. I used to run Morgan Valley Soaring in Morgan UT. After starting a career with Delta Air Lines and starting a family I have returned to soaring and recently purchased a Nimbus 2B. I've had my first successful flight but noticed something odd about the flaps and the elevator trim. My Nimbus has a flap handle that is located on the left side of the seat pan. That being said as many of you Schempp Hirth guys know the elevator trim is located in the same location and is connected to the flaps to provide less need for trimming when changing flap settings. What I have observed is that I can't move the flap position at all when the green trim knob is tightened down. If I loosen the trim knob and take it out of the trim detents I can now change flap settings. This seems odd to me but I thought I would seek advice from the experts!
Can someone clarify this for me?

Aaron Thomson,
Nimbus 2B N71TT
S/N 136

Hi Aaron,

The flap control and elevator trim on my Mini Nimbus, although located close to each other, are independent. Once set the trim position does not effect the flap movement and flap movement does not effect the trim in any way.

Mike