Old December 27th 04, 02:02 AM
Rob McDonald

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 15:17:44 -0500, Michael Horowitz
wrote:

Folks -
I have a '46 Taylorcraft with a leaking fuel cut-off valve. I suspect
the valve stem packing is causing the problem. As this is the third
time I"ve had to address a seep with this original valve, I'd like to
replace it. I believe a ball type valve from the local hardware store
would do the trick, as it has no parts that would be harmed by
gasoline. It appears to be all brass with teflon bearings.

A look at the FAR indicates replacing the valve is not a major thing
and a 337 is not require; however, the proposed valve is not certified
for use in an a/c.

I am not familiar with the fuel cutoff valve on the Taylorcraft, but this
is a common problem on Champs and Chiefs. Replacement valves are made of
unobtanium. The good news if yours is similar, is they are almost always
repairable.

If the leak is around the valve stem, consult your local plumbing or
hardware store for replacement packing material. If it is not shutting off
(fuel continues to flow to the carburetor), the valve/seat can be lapped
with a fine abrasive such as toothpaste. Mine had both problems.
disassembly, cleaning, lapping, and new packing material were the answer.

Rob