Old August 9th 04, 06:40 PM
AES/newspost

In article ,
Newps wrote:

"Dave Russell" wrote in message
om

Someone having fun with a tractor... must be GPS driven or something.
Pretty cool!

We have two here in our town. Has nothing to do with GPS. Not sure how
GPS would even be helpful.

Brad Parkinson and engineering students at Stanford have worked in the
past on using GPS to control moving vehicles, e.g. farm tractors. One
of the demos some years ago was embossing (with permission) a huge
"block S" in a farm field of some sort (wheat? corn?) in the San Joaquin
valley.

[They also worked on automated landing of aircraft under GPS control. I
was a bit startled at first by a story in the university's news magazine
some years ago on tests they'd carried out using a big-iron airliner of
some sort, with the results being, quote, "99 successful landings out of
100 attempts".]