Old March 15th 07, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Paul Elliot

Default American Mariner as aircraft target?

DDAY wrote:
----------
In article , John Szalay
wrote:

"DDAY" wrote in news:dxSJh.12642$tD2.9931
@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

American Mariner

http://www.flickr.com/photos/radiorover/155327673/

"TARGET SHIP" lat=38.0689553132, lon=-76.1251953469

Wow. Many thanks--for the photo links and the lat and long coordinates. I
am writing an article about tracking ships for a magazine and looking to get
as much info as I can. I looked around on Google Earth, but didn't find
her. But I didn't know exactly where to look either.

One question I have to answer is what kind of target ship she was. Gunnery
practice or bomb practice? Or simply a sighting target? And for how long?
The fact that the rusted hulk is still relatively intact now four decades
later indicates that she couldn't have been used for live bombing practice
or used for target practice for very long--otherwise there should be nothing
left of her.

I'll keep digging, but thanks.

From the looks of the hulk, I would surmise that it is a gunnery
target. Lots and lots of holes, some big, some small, but no explosive
damage. A big piece of Swiss cheese. :-)

--
Heaven is where the police are British, the chefs Italian, the mechanics
German, the lovers French and it is all organized by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the chefs British, the mechanics
French, the lovers Swiss and it is all organized by Italians.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/paul1cart/albums/