Old May 1st 21, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Hawk Wind

On 5/1/2021 11:06 AM, 2G wrote:
On Friday, April 30, 2021 at 7:06:28 AM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 4/30/2021 12:43 AM, John Galloway wrote:

The HAWK article referenced on the LXNAV website makes it very clear that it doesn't use magnetic sensing and why:

https://gliding.lxnav.com/news/segel...magazines-eng/

Except for people with a Butterfly vario already installed that vario is now history so for the rest of us there isn't much value in comparing the two systems.

There is for me: I have a new glider ordered, and I considered keeping the
Butterfly vario that's in my current glider. Now, I'm willing to let it go with
the current glider when I sell it.

It should also be a useful comparison for people that want a vario with a fast
wind update, and now know there is something that may be as good (or maybe even
better) than the now unavailable Butterfly.
--
Eric Greenwell - USA
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"

To get the Hawk option you first have to buy the AHRS option, so the total cost will be something in the neighborhood of $1,200 (the only price I have seen was about 975 euro). If you don't have an AHRS this might make sense, but I already do (a Garmin G5 PFD), so I would have to evaluate it on the wind option alone. I already get real-time wind by comparing my true airspeed to GPS ground speed (which I have displayed side-by-side in Nav boxes). And you can get a stand alone artificial horizon for as little as $335 (https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...-11-16581.php).

Do you have the compass option for the LX? Does your method give real-time wind
direction, or just real-time headwind?