Old May 1st 21, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Hawk Wind

On Saturday, May 1, 2021 at 1:34:16 PM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 5/1/2021 11:06 AM, 2G wrote:
On Friday, April 30, 2021 at 7:06:28 AM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 4/30/2021 12:43 AM, John Galloway wrote:

The HAWK article referenced on the LXNAV website makes it very clear that it doesn't use magnetic sensing and why:

https://gliding.lxnav.com/news/segel...magazines-eng/

Except for people with a Butterfly vario already installed that vario is now history so for the rest of us there isn't much value in comparing the two systems.

There is for me: I have a new glider ordered, and I considered keeping the
Butterfly vario that's in my current glider. Now, I'm willing to let it go with
the current glider when I sell it.

It should also be a useful comparison for people that want a vario with a fast
wind update, and now know there is something that may be as good (or maybe even
better) than the now unavailable Butterfly.
--
Eric Greenwell - USA
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"

To get the Hawk option you first have to buy the AHRS option, so the total cost will be something in the neighborhood of $1,200 (the only price I have seen was about 975 euro). If you don't have an AHRS this might make sense, but I already do (a Garmin G5 PFD), so I would have to evaluate it on the wind option alone. I already get real-time wind by comparing my true airspeed to GPS ground speed (which I have displayed side-by-side in Nav boxes). And you can get a stand alone artificial horizon for as little as $335 (https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...-11-16581.php).

Do you have the compass option for the LX? Does your method give real-time wind
direction, or just real-time headwind?
--
Eric Greenwell - USA
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"

No, I don't. The feedback I've been given is that the fluxgate compass doesn't work very well (it's hard to compensate). Would consider it if others gave it their stamp of approval, however.

Tom