Old May 2nd 21, 11:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_2_]

Default Hawk Wind

On Sunday, 2 May 2021 at 06:58:35 UTC+1, Matthew Scutter wrote:
On Sunday, May 2, 2021 at 11:20:34 AM UTC+10, waremark wrote:
On Friday, 30 April 2021 at 15:06:28 UTC+1, Eric Greenwell wrote:

There is for me: I have a new glider ordered, and I considered keeping the
Butterfly vario that's in my current glider. Now, I'm willing to let it go with
the current glider when I sell it.

It should also be a useful comparison for people that want a vario with a fast
wind update, and now know there is something that may be as good (or maybe even
better) than the now unavailable Butterfly.
--
Eric Greenwell - USA
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"

I would hold off making that decision until we get more positive feedback on HAWK. My friend who set up HAWK on his S10 a few days ago was disappointed on his first flight with it - a flat-land thermalling flight. On that flight at no time did it give different wind from his LX 9070, or different vario behaviour. I hope we will get better news in due course.

Would you expect it to function meaningfully differently in the flatlands? Circling wind should work just fine in a homogenous atmosphere, so functioning the same would be ideal.
Similarly I would be surprised if there was improvement in variometer function from an existing well-compensated setup. All I would wish for additionally from my existing variometer is that it would read accurately in the first second of the pullup into a thermal.

According to the the articles the TEK and EKF readings should be very similar while thermal lung as long as the glider is being piloted optimally. I am hoping that it will successfully show real lift in the cruise and avoid spurious readings caused by gusts with a significant horizontal component. A huge bonus would be if it ignores excursions due to g loads during the pull-up or push-over - I am not clear from the articles published whether it can do that.